Death toll from Myanmar earthquake may exceed 3,000 as rescues continue

Over 10,000 buildings have either collapsed or suffered damage.

Published: April 1, 2025 8:34am

The death toll from the Myanmar earthquake is expected to exceed 3,000 as rescues continue in the devastated country.

Last week, Myanmar and Thailand were hit by a 7.7-magnitude earthquake, resulting in thousands of casualties and hundreds of people missing. 

The leader of Myanmar's ruling military junta said on state television that the death toll would likely pass 3,000.

Thailand right now has 20 known deaths so far, according to the BBC. There are ongoing efforts to rescue 74 construction workers who are trapped in rubble under a high rise building. 

Myanmar General Min Aung Hlaing said there are at least 441 people currently missing. 

As of Tuesday, it has been confirmed that 2,000 people have died from the earthquake, according to CBS News.

Over 10,000 buildings have either collapsed or were damage, The World Health Organization reports.

 

The Facts Inside Our Reporter's Notebook

Unlock unlimited access

  • No Ads Within Stories
  • No Autoplay Videos
  • VIP access to exclusive Just the News newsmaker events hosted by John Solomon and his team.
  • Support the investigative reporting and honest news presentation you've come to enjoy from Just the News.
  • Just the News Spotlight

    Support Just the News